How to Add Your Child to Tricare

If you’re reading this because you just adopted or gave birth (or are about to), congratulations!

I want to make this process as easy as possible you.

The military uses a system called DEERS (aka Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System) to organize their service members and families.

Read on to learn how to add your child into DEERS and get them Tricare!

Step 1: Set up an appointment at a Card Office

You can schedule an appointment to visit a local ID Card Office here.

IMPORTANT: Your sponsor (service member) is required to attend this visit. If they cannot attend, make sure to get a POA.

Step 2: Gather required documents

When adding a child into DEERS, you are not required to have their SSN card right away.

You are, however, required to bring their Birth Certificate and DD form 1172.

When you make your appointment, they will send you a list of any other documents you need to bring with you.

Step 3: Attend the appointment

Again, please note! You are not required to attend the appointment. However, your sponsor is required to attend.

Some ID offices are located on military bases.

If you do not have a military ID or a sponsor who can get you on base, you have one of two options.

ONE, you can let your sponsor attend the appointment alone.

TWO, you can find a different location for the appointment.

Step 4: Choose a Tricare plan

Once your child has been added into the DEERS system, they should be automatically enrolled in a Tricare plan.

You can view and make changes to their plan on the MilConnect website.

If you need help deciding which Tricare plan will work best, check out this blog post!

For any other Tricare related questions, be sure to check out their website.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top